A couple months ago.. In the spring?.. (I guess.. has it been that long?), the children and I were in the fabric store, and I told TJ to pick a fabric for a shirt. BB picked out a garish bright strawberry print. I didn’t really like it, but she insisted, so I bought her one yard. Then, last week as I realized that as soon as I get my school packet my life as it is will be over, the urge to finish projects hit hard. And, as you know, that means that the mountain of unstarted-but-soon-to-be-projects that resides in the stash needs to be done, too. Ha. So, I cut out the fabric for TJ’s shirt, and MissB acquired her strawberries and laid the fabric on the floor and hunted for scissors. Oh Boy. I looked through the patterns and didn’t feel the groove, I let her carry a pattern around and she pulled out the papers and laid them out. Finally, a light bulb moment, I offered her the pool, and off she went.
I looked through the patterns, found a couple dresses, and set them on the ironing board.
When I was cutting out a dress for MissA from the blue with strawberries that I’d used some already for MissB’s apron. She asked if I was making it for her; no, for sister.
She found the scissors and laid out the fabric. I grabbed a pattern that seemed to be what this fabric was needing, plus I had some red scraps from my slip/jumper that matched! Together, we cut out the fabric. I cut the curves and she cut the straights. And, she was so very happy…
This week (at least a month later), I’ve been bit by that sewing bug again… and these three projects stood between me and my next project (in the next post..). I wanted to do something for my birthday, and I found these items.. And, the children got an invite to a neighbor girl’s birthday party. So, as I readied for the next project, I got the sewing done for these.
TJ’s new shirt of helicopter fabric.. I forgot which pattern I used, but it wasn’t my favorite (I like the ones where the front lining is part of the front pattern piece, even though these ones are a little easier to line up the pattern). Our own added details were the contrast cuffs and pocket band, and we used a contrast collar. The buttons seem small because they’re actually snaps (this poor shirt sits for a month because I’m too lazy to find matching buttons -sad!).
BB’s red & yellow strawberry dress is OOP Vogue 7741 and MissA picked out McCall 5458. I put the McCall pattern pockets on both dresses. The blue dress was done except for the sleeve hems. I didn’t want those big wide sleeves open and catching on everything for her, so I added elastic and now they’re puffy.
MissB’s dress was in a pile waiting to be started. So, I started it Thursday or Friday, finished the sewing Saturday, early afternoon. Finished cutting out pieces and sewing up a doll for the birthday girl. Finished the sewing on MissA’s dress, finished the stitch in the ditch on TJ’s shirt. Grabbed the snap press and added snaps to MissB’s dress.
The girls tossed on their dresses as I stuffed the doll in some tissue paper and a bag and off they ran with Daddy and TJ to the party. I finally sat away from the sewing machine and gave MissC her milk and a nice nap.